The Assignment: Our assignment was to choose a task and construct a series of clear, organized instructions on how to complete the task and create a text-only PowerPoint.
My Task: One of the hardest parts of completing this project for me was actually choosing the task. I thought I wanted to do something related to sewing or chemistry (since these are the areas I am deciding between for my final project in this class), but I had a lot of trouble thinking of a task I could explain using only words. I finally settled on creating a cooking task using the Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker) because I thought about how recipes are usually explained using only words so its a process I am more familiar with. I still had a lot of difficulty being succinct and ensuring each step started with a verb.
The Process: I had a difficult time separating the steps into clear and logical groups/subgroups but after some grouping and reorganizing, I feel I ended up with a logical sequence. I used helvetica as my font for this project. I tried to be creative in showing emphasis with the use of bold and italics as well as incorporating grey fonts to show the progression of the slides and allow for the speakers notes to clearly relate to specific points. I submitted my first draft early and received feedback before the draft due date, so I made the changes recommended (mostly around balance with white space) I reworked my slides to make better use of the white space, incorporating several transparent tables. I kept consistency in my font sizes and heading locations, but found I needed to change spacing and subtitle/bullet locations to make better use of white space. My biggest concern with this draft version is with trying to remain consistent AND keep a good balance on the slides between white space and text.